Monday, July 2, 2012

Wildlife Feeders

When I was growing up, we never had wildlife feeders outside. You didn't need them. I lived in farm country, and on the edge of farm country at that.

Humor is also a way of saying something serious.
Author: T. S. Eliot
In front of the house, there were fields and fields of wheat. Behind the house, there was nothing but forest. A wildlife feeder would have been unnecessary all I had to do was to wander into the wild.

When I moved into the city, however, things were much different. By the time I was 15, I was bored to tears by the farm country. I never realized how much I would miss it once it was gone. Nowadays, I don't see anything but pigeons and squirrels. My job keeps me busy most days, and by the weekend I am too tired to take a road trip out into the country. It is slow and subtle, but the city is crushing my soul one step at a time.

I never would have thought of wildlife feeders as a possible solution on my own. You see, my grandmother had a supposedly squirrel proof bird feeder. It wasn't.

Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
Author: Mark Twain
The squirrels would get the bird feed every time, and who wanted to feed squirrels? It wasn't like there weren't enough of them already! I actually wouldn't have gotten the idea if I hadn't been asked to babysit my sister's dog for the weekend. She was relieved to have me there. She was a gadget maniac, and she usually used an automatic pet feeder to take care of her dog. Then, all she had to do was let the dog go in and out through the doggie door to do his business.

Unfortunately, the automatic pet feeder was broken and she needed someone to watch her dog. The dog was so used to that automatic feeder that every time he was hungry he would run over to it. Even after I had been there for a few days, he didn't quite understand the food came from me and not the feeder machine. That is when I first started thinking about getting wildlife feeders. Maybe they could work after all!

That very next day, I went and looked at wildlife feeders at a sporting goods store. It turns out that many of them are designed for hunters, but some of them are still made for people who simply want to have more critters in their yards. I bought a hummingbird feeder, and tried it out the next day. I have had hummingbirds in my yard ever since!

Today, I'm a big pile of love.
Author: Sex and the City

Related articles:

  • Get Rid Of Squirrels get rid of squirrelsThose who love to feed the birds often get aggravated when it seems the squirrels are scaring away the birds and eating all the food.Great spirits have always encountered viole...

  • Boat Plans When I was a kid, I used to talk to my dad about building boats. Every winter, we would decide that we would get boat plans during the summer and build something, and every summer we would forget...

  • Cross Country Travel The family that I grew up in was not very adventurous. We lived on a dairy farm, which meant every morning and evening the cows needed to be milked.The best and most beautiful things cannot be see...

  • House And Garden There are so many things that we can do to fill our time. Through the years my hobbies have changed based on what stage in life I am in.You do not drown by falling in the water, you drown by stayi...

  • Monty Python Complete I have been a Monty Python fan since high school who hasn't? I have read all of the Monty Python scripts and recited them with my friends, practically memorizing Monty Python's holy Grail line for...

No comments:

Post a Comment