When I was about 10 years old, my father and I built log furniture together. We'd been studying the pioneers in school, you see, and my father loved to participate in my education.
Author: Unknown
Building log furniture, however, was one of my favorite projects we ever did together. My dad was a pretty unique character. He was not exactly what you would call a handyman around the house. He knew nothing about most home improvement projects. He couldn't fix the plumbing, install new cabinets, or any of that other typical dad stuff.
Author: Robert Louis Stevenson
My mom was a much more practical person than my dad. When she found out that we wanted to make rustic, pioneer style furniture, she suggested a log stool. My dad, however, was never interested in beginners projects. He knew that he wouldn't spend enough time on something to get good, so he liked to jump right into it. He decided to build a log furniture table with me.
Now most dads would have bought some lumber at a lumber yard, bought some plans in a hardware store, and followed the directions. Not my pop. He wanted everything about our log furniture adventure to be genuine. Rather than selecting lumber for the job, he took me to a nearby forest. We looked at all of the different trees and found some recently fallen logs that looked like they might fit the bill. We took what we could, brought it home, and made the best log table we could out of it. It felt just like being a pioneer! We couldn't buy wood we had to make do with what we could find. The table was what you might call rustic, but it was strong enough for me to do my homework at for the next five years.
Author: Rachel Carson - from Silent Spring
Related articles:
- Child Bedroom Furniture Decorating a nursery is one of the most anticipated parts of becoming a new parent. Moms and dads work hard to come up with exactly the right theme for their childs room.Luck is what happens when...
- Upscale Office Furniture I have always thought that picking out upscale office furniture is sort of an art. It is much more difficult than picking out dining room furniture or other home furniture.If you don't go after wh...
- Country Pine Furniture I have found that I get a great deal of enjoyment from decorating homes. I have been this way since I was a young girl. We lived in an old farmhouse when I was growing up.Let your heart guide you....
- Leather Furniture Conditioner Many of us want the best for our homes and we really want comfort as well as style. Nothing is as luxurious as real leather couches and chairs as far as Im concerned.To the well organized mind, de...
- Wicker Furniture If you're in the market for furniture for any room or even outdoor location, give a thought to wicker furniture, with its certain charm and romance, cane-woven texture and stained, painted or oile...
No comments:
Post a Comment