Monday, July 2, 2012

Flea Market

I have always loved going to the flea market. Of course outdoor flea markets are my favorite, but I like all different kinds.

The price one pays for pursuing any profession or calling is an intimate knowledge of its ugly side.
Author: James Baldwin
It seems like my fascination goes back to when I was a kid. We used to beg my mom to get to go to this one flea market downtown. You see, there was mechanical horse that you could ride for only a penny! My parents would give us 20 cents each and let us go at it until we got bored. Then we would wander around, looking at antique jewelry, old photographs, strange arts and crafts, and all kinds of other assorted goods. We would never look at anything practical that was what my parents were there for. For us, fleamarkets were an exercise in the extravagance of our imaginations. We would try to think of strange things we could look for and try to find them. Although we rarely found what we were looking for, usually there was something fantastic that surprised us.
The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind.
Author: Theodorus Gaza

As I have gotten older, I have seen a more practical use for The fleamarket. For kids, flea markets are a place to run wild, and exotic and old-time fair specializing in rare and sought-after treasures, but for an adult they are something different: places to get quality goods at discount prices. Unfortunately, all of the flea markets around here stink. To be honest, I haven't seen a good outdoor market since I moved to this part of Tennessee. You would think that such a rural community would have antique stores, discount markets, and other places where people could exchange used goods and make a little bit of money off their second hands, but apparently the trend has escaped this particular county.

To some degree, the Internet has helped to make up for the lack of flea market in the area. If I want to find discount electronics, cheap cookware, or even remaindered clothing, I can get it on eBay or one of many other sites selling cheap wares. Nonetheless, I still miss the flea market. Buying online, you have less choices. You are always taking a big risk if you buy something used, because you can't look at it. Mostly, you are limited to knock offs, generic reproductions, and the like. Nothing beats being able to barter face to face with someone, evaluating the strengths and weaknesses of a product.

Families are like fudge, mostly sweet with a few nuts
Author: Unkown

Related articles:

  • Money Market Funds Money market funds are great investments for people who want to put some cash away without taking a great risk. While you cant expect to get a ridiculously large return on your investment, you can...

  • Market Research Marketing When I first became involved in marketing and advertising, everything we did was based on wit and style. Basically, the goal was to come up with the catchiest, most contagious slogans that we coul...

  • Questions And Answers Being a parent has been the most rewarding and the most challenging thing I have done in my life. Before I had children I would not have understood that statement, however after raising two sons a...

  • Toy Soldiers When I was a little kid, I loved toy soldiers more than anything else. This is a little bit strange to some people because, in general, I wasn't a big fan of military toys.Only I can change my lif...

  • Adult Halloween Costume Ideas Adult Halloween Costume IdeasWhen Halloween approaches, you may be thinking more about your childs costume than your own. If you like Halloween as much as your kids do, there is no reason why you...

No comments:

Post a Comment