Monday, July 2, 2012

Film Studies

One of my favorite subjects back in college was film! Yeah, that's right; I said film. If you didn't take it as an elective or major in it, then you probably didn't have it.

.A friend is one who knows us, but loves us anyway.
Author: --Fr. Jerome Cummings
For some odd reason it's not a standard requirement. Pretty bogus if you ask me. Well, decided to take my passion for cinema to the next level and minor in film studies. And you want to know what? It was the best part of my college career. I took eight courses regarding various aspects of film and loved them all. Sure, there was plenty of writing involved, but it was fun writing. In retrospect, my only regret in not taking more.

If you are like many of us, you probably have a love for the movies. This is plain and simply part of our culture. There are no two ways about it. Especially in America, film is regarded as a favorite past-time. It's what we indulge in when we kick back on the sofa at night, or with our partners on the weekend. Movies have certainly made their mark in our diverse culture and they're basically here to stay.

"How noble and good everyone could be if, at the end of each new day, they were to review their own behaviour and weigh up the rights and wrongs. They would automatically try to do better at the start of each new day and, after a while, would certainly accomplish a great deal more. Those who don't know will have to find out by experience that "a quiet conscience gives you strength"~Anne Frank June, 1944
Author: Anne Frank
So, you may be wondering why I minored in film studies. Well, it simple really; I was an English major, hoping to become a screenwriter one day. After I took my first screenwriting course, I became a little discouraged. I hadn't realized that so many other people were striving to become screenwriters as well. Apparently around 100,000 scripts are written each year. WOW! That's some serious competition. Nevertheless, I still pursue this dream. If not for success, because I enjoy it.

Even if you have no interest in making it big in Hollywood, I still encourage some college film studies. A basic course in cinema can teach you so many things. If you're looking for a class where you basically watch movies and write on them, then film studies are for you. But don't be fooled by the fun of it all. The professors still expect great work. Take it from someone who's been there. Even the film studies courses can be demanding at times. But I will tell you this; they are a whole lot more fun and exciting if you're a film nut.

Before they can be men, they must be boys.
Author: Nancy Reese

Related articles:

  • Film Director There are basically two ways to get involved in a career in film production. One of them is the academic way, the other is the independent way.Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two gr...

  • Online Course We hate to listen to our parents when they rant on and on about college. Yeah, yeah; we know the spiel about how a higher education leads to a promising future.A good partner is someone who listen...

  • Audio Engineering Audio software has done a lot for the recording industry. Most obviously, it his given people many new options. Sophisticated and difficult effects using the analog equipment of a decade ago are e...

  • Watch Videos Although it has been possible to watch videos online for a long time, the advertising industry is only now getting hip to the commercial possibilities.The mere chink of cups and saucers tunes the...

  • Family Search It started out as a routine family history search something I hadn't done since middle school. I had always been interested in family genealogy, coming from a family that was not very good at keep...

No comments:

Post a Comment