Throughout my career as a social worker I have worked with many interesting people. Some of the children that I have worked with have had to over come a tremendous amount of adversity in order to survive.
Author: Unknown
Now that I have been in the field for several years I have decided to go back to school to get my doctorate. I am hoping that I can use my front line experience to help people in a therapeutic setting. One of the reasons that I have held back for so long from pursuing my degree is that I knew it would take time to complete the case study research that is required to obtain your PHD. I knew that I would not have the time to devote to this case study research when my children were little.
Author: - General COlin Powell
My employer has been gracious enough to allow me to complete some of my doctorate studies during my regular work time. As long as I obtained releases of information from the clients involved, I could use some of the cases that I was familiar with to complete my case study research. This turned out to be a wonderful thing for me because the research was easy. The interesting thing was that it because very healing for the two families that I did the case study research on. With each family I interviewed as many family members as I could find. I researched back into several generations to discover when child abuse and or mental health issues began. In both cases I found that the abuse went back as far back as I could go. I found one journal of the great great grandmother of one of the children I was working with who had been severely abused. The great great grandmother wrote about being hit with a switch and then locked into a closet for hours. Seeing the time lines of the pattern of abuse was added motivation for the young people that I was working with to put an end to the abuse and learn different ways of dealing with anger.
Author: Fleur Conkling Heylinger
No comments:
Post a Comment