I know very little about the history of masks, but I know that I have always loved them. From drama masks to Mardi Gras masks, I adore almost every one that I see.
Author: Unknown
At first, it took a while to find someone who I really wanted to write about. Finally, I found her in the African art room. She was looking at the African tribal masks, totally unaware of me in the room with her. I was pretending to also be looking at their African tribal mask collection, but of course I was secretly observing her. There was something about the way that she interacted with the works of art that I found instantly captivating.
Author: Amanda Roberts
Ever since then, although I never actually met that girl, I have seen African tribal masks through her eyes. Each of the Africa masks have such personality that it is hard to not look at them as if they were alive. I have even begun a small collection of African art and musical instruments myself. Although modest, it makes me feel really fortunate to be able to call those pieces of fine African folk art my own. Every time I look at those African tribal masks, I wonder what they are for. Were they ever used in a ritual, or were they simply made to sell to tourists? Who has touched them, and what do they mean to that person? Are they actual traditional tribal African masks, or are they simply a reflection of the vision of a particular artist?
For me, asking these questions is half of the experience of viewing art. It increases the importance of the African tribal masks to me, and makes them seem deeper and more profound, as it does with all works of art. Although I will never know the answers, it still seems to enrich my soul to ask those questions.
Author: Mae West
Related articles:
- Michael Myers Masks The town of Haddonfield, Illinois was a peaceful one until a tragic night in 1978. It was October 31st when HE decided to come home.Shake your family tree and see how many nuts fall!Author: Unknow...
- African American Art Even a generation ago, the art world was pretty monolithic. Take it back another generation before that, and it was all dead white men."A lady does not start fights. But she can finish them." ~ Ma...
- Latex Masks Halloween! This is a night when the freaks and spooks can come out and go unnoticed. They blend in with the millions of tiny ghouls and goblins running a muck in their own neighborhoods, searching...
- African Safari African safariFor many people, Africa is a place that intrigues them, but not enough to desire to adventure to the country to see it for themselves."A man knows when he is growing old because he b...
- Paper Masks I would not have become an elementary school teacher if I did not like making crafts. After all, that is half the fun! I like all kinds of crafts.Come to the edge.We can't. We're afraid.Come to th...
No comments:
Post a Comment